Thursday, May 28, 2009

There's No Turning Back

For fans of the Wipers, whose relentless gorgeous fuzz-punk splendor is legendary, this 1991 Greg Sage solo album might be a little disturbing-- the drums are horribly processed/fake sounding, for instance; and the rhythm guitars are (relatively) strummy and mellow.

At first, in fact, I was going to post Youth of America. But then I realized, folks already know about the Wipers. It's music I love, sure, but it's not obscure music I love. Why not post something that would otherwise be overlooked?

This solo record from the early 90s is very personal to me-- i love it for reasons I can't entirely explain. Mostly the fake drums bother me, though a couple of the songs strike me as a little cheesy too. But 80s production aside, there's creamy/silky and shimmery guitar, and oh the melodies are truly melodies. And Mr. Sage's naive and mostly very direct lyrics get caught in your head, and the songs ache, and you remember them days later, and when you're sad they help you feel like you're not alone.

Or at least, that's how I feel about this album. As always, your mileage may vary. But see what you think.

2 comments:

sarcasmus said...

i think you should post the wipers too. their albums are not easy to find. only recently did i find one. maybe i look in the wrong places, but i don't think so.

erroneous said...

Will do. I bought mine online, I think from the Wipers website, for like $20 or something for the first three albums. Pretty great deal, since all three are insanely wonderful. Been thinking about buying Silver Sail lately too.

I'll probably get Youth of America posted in a couple weeks, I have a bit of a queue going.