
I don't know all that much of Joni's sizeable discography-- just a few albums-- but this one has always meant a lot to me. Lately I've also realized what an inventive & intense guitarist she is, too. If she were a dude, she'd be legendary among guitar geeks, for all those invented tunings & densely harmonized chords. But, that's not so important except in, you know, a feminist-justice way.
This is a pretty raw record, and not in that singer-songwriter "now I tell an emotional truth" kind of way, more like she was trying to write cheerful songs and it all fell apart despite her best efforts. Very intense and true. Also sort of historically interesting, I feel like it captures the death of hippiedom pretty well. All the characters in every song are on their way into a personal hell, including the narrator. All the innocent fun was over. Serial killers and Watergate and overdose reality, slowly setting in. Romance turned to sour alcoholic cynicism.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment