Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Reverie

A thrift store purchase that has never gotten too far from my turntable. World music from back when Americans only knew the Middle East existed because of Peter O' Toole in Lawrence of Arabia. I've no idea what the actual heritage of this record is, or what Mr. Arakelian's background or area of expertise is. But it's a delicious record, and I could listen to it daily for the rest of my life and be happy.

(Interesting side note: I once saw someone selling a copy of this record on ebay for $90. Right now someone's selling one for $9 (buy-it-now price). I bought mine for $1 originally, so I guess it was a bargain either way.) I digitized this inexpertly from LP, apologies for clicks & pops.

5 comments:

sarcasmus said...

sweeeeeeet.

Subarashi Hinode said...

I can't wait to hear it. I've never met an Oud I didn't like...!

erroneous said...

It's definitely that kind of instrument.
Erhu and kora are like that too.

CTB said...

Just want to say thanks for this. It's one of the best things I heard in a while. It will actually be my Christmas gift to a friend.

erroneous said...

Awesome. Glad you enjoy it!