The Kinks were always contrary-- when everybody else was playing psychedelic rebel, they made a record celebrating 'donald duck, vaudeville, and variety'. Richly painted portrait-and-landscape songs, nostalgic and adventurous and worth coming back to again and again. There's a recent remastered extended edition release which is probably worth buying (I once heard a vocal-less version of 'Phenomenal Cat' on the radio and nearly cried with joy)-- but this is the normal version, for your delectation.Saturday, July 11, 2009
Underneath the Sticks and Stones are Lots of Little Demons
The Kinks were always contrary-- when everybody else was playing psychedelic rebel, they made a record celebrating 'donald duck, vaudeville, and variety'. Richly painted portrait-and-landscape songs, nostalgic and adventurous and worth coming back to again and again. There's a recent remastered extended edition release which is probably worth buying (I once heard a vocal-less version of 'Phenomenal Cat' on the radio and nearly cried with joy)-- but this is the normal version, for your delectation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The Kinks are a band I'm slowly discovering and understanding as I get older. I have whiffs of childhood memories associated with various 70s Kinks' songs, and it's great to finally have a musical context, pretext and subtext to fully read them.
Post a Comment