Thursday, July 9, 2009

President Reagan Can Shove It

A short bit of music today, since you may still be recovering from recent megaposting madness.

A clued-in buddy in my high school art class, knowing I was into Wire and the Sex Pistols and Black Flag but that I knew nothing else about punk, made me several excellent cassettes full of great stuff. Wish I still had them.

This was on one of those cassettes, along with the Weathered Statues EP (if anyone wants, I can upload that too-- it shows more of a development toward goth/metal), and misc Minor Threat, 7 Seconds, and Fugazi's 13 Songs (another truly timeless classic).

There's something lovely about the compressed fury here. Eventually TSOL became sort of a sloppy metal band; I remember in 1990 or so picking up a live cassette and being outraged at the groupie-baiting guitar-solo wanking metalness of it all. And I think they've been releasing stuff pretty consistently over the decades, following their own particular Southern-California punk vision. But at this early stage they were pure densely maniacal punk punk punk, buzzsaw guitars and galloping drums and anti-nuclear-war lyrics, all spit out in a sort of not-in-time-but-on-time perfection.

I'd almost forgot about this record until Scarah New gave me her much-loved copy last year, along with a host of other wonderful vinyls. Here it is.


4 comments:

meltmaster said...

these guys make an appearance in Penelope Spheeris' excellent feature film "Suburbia." There's another film of the same name by the guy who did Dazed and Confused.

i've been meaning to pick up some of their albums for a long time. thanks for posting this.

erroneous said...

Never seen Suburbia, but will add to the Netflix queue forthwith.

There's another film called Suburbia that's dreadful if I recall correctly. Rented the wrong one circa 1995 and was disgusted, and only found out the mistake afterwards... "I imagine see why my friends like this movie!"

erroneous said...

Er, "I can't imagine" is what I meant when I wrote "I imagine see".

meltmaster said...

I know what you imagined.

I didn't think the Richard Linklater "Suburbia" was horrible. But the Penelope spheeris Suburbia is one of the top punk movies of all time. Netflix it, if it is available! I always want to have a showing of it when in NY. if you guys still have a vhs player, i can bring it out.