Monday, July 27, 2009

Mixtapes for Mason- Was Once An Angel- 80s Goth

A few months ago I embarked on an ambitious mixtape-making project for a teenage friend (Maze-On New), after being encouraged by his bad-influence uncle Ry Toast. I began small, but quickly spiraled out of control and wound up making a LOT of CDs worth of music. I'm going to post them here. This is the first of many-- the series will take us well into September...

it's the Goth I grew up on.

Kids today, they don't understand the real 80s... I'm gonna teach and preach.

Actually, a couple of these songs aren't quite 80s goth in one way or another. The style itself, like metal or most any other defensive subculture, was constantly redefining folks in and out. Who can keep track? Musicians themselves don't wanna be pigeonholed. Hell, neither Bauhaus nor Joy Division, the Two Most Goth Bands In The Universe, considered themselves goth (Hmmm. I didn't include any Joy Division. That's lame). And my own experience with the genre didn't really kick in until 1990 or so... I was more a Depeche Mode Black Celebration vs. Echo & the Bunnymen Lips Like Sugar kind of kid before then. Are they more or less goth than Sisters of Mercy? And... who cares?

So, like all mixes, this has some compromise. Still, it's got the flavor of clove cigarettes and the footprint of Creepers, with some Manic Panic in the hair. Hope you enjoy it.

Mmm. Clove cigarettes...

Note: these mixes were formatted to fit on cassette, so each 'side' will be around 42 minutes. Most of them are genre-specific, and sort of strike a balance between trying to cover the bases in that genre (i.e. reflecting the 'great artists' in the canon), and reflecting my taste (which is erratic, mystically-oriented, and limited by ignorance), and fitting well together. Occasionally this leads to odd results. But I think they're good listening.

Enjoy!


Up next, the flip side of this 'tape': 80s metal.

No comments: