Monday, July 13, 2009

If this was home- Ashkhabad

If this was home I would attend every wedding and every event these lunatics were playing at. I love this music. If this was home I would be a groupie, or learn the frame drum and join thier band.....



I have been listening to the same disc for the past ten years and it never bores me. I don't know if this is anarchic traditional music from Turkmenistan or the just the traditional sounds from that region. But the leader sounds as beautiful as he is crazy- not in the way screaming Jay was.....by the way I have to find the clips the very first time I saw Scramin' Jay; it was on David Sandborn's "Night Music" show from the 1980s. He performed with Bob Weir and the members of bands called Bong Water and Pussy Willow.
Anyways, back in the days when I would grab anything by the Real World label - thank you Peter Gabriel - this was the first or second disc I bought just because of the label. It's been love ever since.
Move your tables and create a dance floor with a few bottles of vodka near by. Get ready to dance to the funkiest band west of Moscow (or is it south east...).....My goodness... get ready. Put on your Cossack boots, red coats, and get ready to boogie - Ashkhabadian style....

http://www.mediafire.com/?kz1mjyzdgrm

Support the cause and buy the CD!

I had to look up the clips.....wow....the second clip begins at 2:00 after the Bob Weir interview....Bongwater then covers a song (so say the comments) by Roky Ericson who I think you are a fan of......I'll never forget when I saw this show - and this was the first episode I had ever seen of Night Music. I was laughing, and confused. Speel bound and quiet - I was entranced. And became addicted to this show that mixed together the greatest and craziest acts together in - no doubt- the greatest musical show of all time. And this is proof of the pure genius of David Sandborn.......big statement indeed - but these clips really inspried me...which is why I have to share them with you (everyone)...




No comments: