Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Beware The Need For Help

Drastically different from #1 Record or Big Star, though those are also excellent. This is a moody, intermittently suicidal record filled with lovely angst.

The CD version of this comes with several bonus tracks; I removed them because they wreck the mood. I have mixed feelings about bonus tracks in general, for this reason. Why add random miscellany to the end of a cohesive album?

I originally heard this as an album I borrowed from a friend-of-my-girlfriend back in 1995 or so, along with Dylan's John Wesley Harding. In exchange I loaned out my Syd Barrett albums and a Nick Drake CD. Eventually I returned the items I borrowed, but I never got mine back. Oh well.

I once had a dream about 'Big Black Car', in which I was floating silently through a night city in a black limo, on my way towards Death. I was very worried for several days afterward, but at least I would have died with a good song stuck in my head.

2 comments:

Subarashi Hinode said...

I feel so unhip sometimes!! I'll have to listen to this.....I am still loving Wild Yak!

sarcasmus said...

This is one of my absolute favorites of all time. It took me about 10 ten listens to really appreciate it. And I feel weird about enjoying the Jesus Christ's birthday song so much.