Friday, June 26, 2009

Reflection

This was going to be an entry yesterday after listening- while reflecting on the three straight months I use to listen to this music every night; where I was, the sounds of the neighbor hood that this piece seemed to bring out- I swear even my own breath seemed to change with this music.. The first three movements have always seemed so "perfect" to me. As with much of my meager collection, buying this this was a complete accident. I was listening to Gould's Goldberg Bach Variations every night (which I feel the need to share someday, too) and stumbled across this by accident at a store - and picked it up. After three minutes I knew this was "it!" Is this father of ambiance? This is the first and only recording I have ever heard of Satie and I don't want to hear anything else......

And then..Micheal died and I was tempted to put up the Rockwell song "Somebody's Watching Me" or "Dancing Machine", etc. I was tempted to paste a video.... but I held back knowing full well that everyone will be plastered with too much Michael during the next week...... he moved us, inspired us and fooled us all....but this piece, performed by Reinbert de Leeuw, will either put you to sleep, push you into a moment of self reflection, submission, or even joy .

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wzqtzyxg2j2/Satie- Gymnopédies No1-3; Petite ouverture à danser.rar

I think it may download from the end to the beginning...make sure it's in the right order.....
I love the Tom Snyder clip of the Clash.....I had no idea that they lowered their prices on albums.....

1 comment:

meltmaster said...

i have a recording of this, and i can't listen to any other version either. i will post mine and we will have to compare. who is the pianist on this? the one i like is Aldo Ciccolini. some italian pianist who plays on an imperfect piano--and with a tone and style that is absolutely perfect.

Satie is usually considered the father of ambient music. he called his music "furniture music," if I remember correctly. also he died in total destitution. just like the inventor of baking soda. (Vincent Price's father. Not Toni Braxton.)