Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Two and Only


Hello Everyone - and thank you E -

I love this site! I love the music and the side stories. Thank you for sharing your music and playing physic games with my head. Too many times I have been thinking of a musician or style of music only to find it here on this site. WOW! It's crazy.
So here we go!!!
There are few musicians that do what these two do best: Swing. Now there are the swings at the play ground, the swings that ball players take, and the ones that drunks attempt while trying to subdue your happy moods. And then there are those who CAN and do swing with the same ease we spit and snort. What swinging is is beyond me, to be honest- but it's there. It's in us and we can feel it. A true jazz musician will tell you that no one can swing as well they do. Its all subjective. He swings, she swings, Ella was the queen of swing, and these two Frank and Count reinvented it. Together this is music that must be heard - although Frank's ramblings give you a false sense of nostalgia which seems dated.
This is swinging well past the time that people said it was dead. Free Jazz, Bop, post Post, Hard Bop, Crazy Jazz, Minimalist Jazz, and Mickey Mouse Jazz, had pushed the big bands aside. Then along comes the big Q - Quincey Jones, and makes an album with these two cats before this live recording at the Sands Hotel, in Las Vegas, was released, and brings it back from the dead.
I had been trying to find this CD for many years. I was told it was out of print as is the Frank and Antonio Jobim Album Samba/Bossa Nova comp. Then one day, about six months ago I stumbled across this CD at a used video game store that happens to sell CDs and Movies, too. And there it was, behind some random metal bands, for four dollars. I would have paid up to $5.99, well maybe $7.50 but $4.00 was definitely within my budget. When I arrived home and played it I expected it to skip. And to my surprised it didn't. It swung as hard as anything I have ever heard in my life. Although this is missing Luck be a Lady (replaced by the drunken rant)- this is music that will change your mood. It will make you spin and twirl your loved one. This music will have you cleaning the house in record time, and best of all make you want to make a nice mixed drink and sit back as you contemplate the fate of Iranian politics.

Here it is. I hope the link works......

http://www.mediafire.com/file/emgamey1ozi/Sinatra at the Sands.rar

2 comments:

erroneous said...

Awesome. Great first post! Welcome, Subarashi!

sarcasmus said...

yeah. really happy you're sharing on this site. i feel all warm inside now. i just picked up a bunch of Mongolian CDs. maybe there will be something interesting to share. but there's nothing like hearing it performed personally in your own ger. i'll get a post up here about my experience.