Monday, June 22, 2009

Preludio


I'm sort of obsessed with this (Brazilian guitar great Baden Powell, no relation to the British founder of Boy Scouts).

Much younger, in punk rock mode:



While we're loving on Brazilian guitar, try a taste of this yumminess:
(Lauriendo Almeida and the Modern Jazz Quartet)


4 comments:

Justin Block said...

Gorgeous stuff, Ero.

The drummer on Samba Triste kills! (The dude on guitar isn't bad, either...)

erroneous said...

Yeah, re-watching these, I'm thinking:

a) Baden Powell's glasses are actually intensely cool. Or rather, he's so intensely cool that he can pull off the worst possible combination of facial hair and optical devices. For a moment, I was like, hey, I want to look like Groucho Marx! Then I realized that I need to practice guitar for a minimum 6 hours a day for the next 30 years before I can presume.

b) The drummer, while clearly not the star of that trio, is severely hot in his own right, and a lot of fun to watch. I imagine I can see the bassist sweating bullets hoping it works... I don't know enough to know if these were his regular bandmates, or hotshots-on-call in France. I know he regularly picked up whatever sidemen were in the neighborhood for touring gigs, so they may have been relative strangers.

C) Lauriendo Almeido and Baden Powell share an admirable poker face during the serious stuff-- and it's great fun when it cracks, and you realize they're having fun.

I'm gonna try to buy the Almeido/MJQ album. Will post it here eventually, I'm sure.

meltmaster said...

ahahahahaha! i was WONDERING where I had seen the name Baden Powell before!!!

erroneous said...

Yeah, it's a wierd historical mindfuck: the one a musical serpent-tamer whose fingers look & sound like fangs, the other a colonialist despot who tried to conquer the atavistic and primitive land of boyhood.

I've been trying to learn the Preludio as performed here, having found tab online (tho I was able to get the first several chords by watching the yewtewb and probably coulda got the rest if i weren't so dang lazy). It's 17 pages long. So far I've memorized the first three. Though I can't play nearly so quickly or steadily. It's a fun project though.