Tuesday, February 23, 2010

You Are The New Leaves, You Are The Open Buds



A particularly lovely moody/grimy album from this band, which has some ties to Movietone and Flying Saucer Attack, and in earlier releases (only a couple, of the EP variety) tended towards blurty blurry experimental spaz-rock. The stuff presented here is much softer and more melancholy: it sounds like people you know, in a living room, quiet and intense, after a long-expected but heartbreaking breakup, and right before a long dusty afternoon nap. I've never heard an album quite like it.

One thing's for sure: the recording style is unusual. It's home-recorded, and they supposedly collect antique reel-to-reel recorders. There's a fuzzy shimmer to everything here that makes that seem like an excellent idea, even though nothing is even remotely hi-fi: drums whump and tap, guitars plink and buzz, vocals mumble and murmur. Yet it's not lo-fi, nor does anything sound retro or antiqueified. It's just covered in a glossy coat of autumnal haze.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I must have missed this post....I'll give it an ear.

Unknown said...

WOW..great description.

This is something else. There is something very inspiring about this album. That sense of intimancy that the sound has, like you said as if they are in your living room, makes me believe I should join right in.

Great reccomendation. I love the bass playing...and horns...

Thank you. I guess I needed to wait to hear this..

K

erroneous said...

Excellent, so glad you liked it. I don't think I've ever heard any press whatsoever about these guys, I bought an EP years ago from Forced Exposure just for the Flying Saucer Attack connection, and then back when this came out (2004 at a wild guess) I heard a song from it on WNYU. But otherwise they seem to have flown completely under the radar, at least in the US.

But there's something pretty great about the squeaky guitar and the horns and the soft but evocative drumming. Intimacy I guess, as you say. They're communicating, not just playing.