Monday, February 15, 2010

We Dream Of A Ship That Sails Away


While cleaning the basement, found this mix-CD that I made in August 1999. Back then I listened to a lot of rock music (if you can call this collection of drifty, arty and melancholy songs rock). Most of this isn't from the 90s so I don't think it will have aged badly, though it isn't necessarily what I listen to these days.

I've always loved making mixed tapes/CDs/mp3s, and made a lot of them. Who knows if anyone ever listened to them. There were many times in my own driven-by-and-obsessed-with-music life, when the music someone else handed me (on cassette, mostly) changed my life in a dramatic way. I've always hoped to do that for someone else. But all you can do is make stuff you love and hand it over, sometimes it doesn't work.

In any case I've been feeling a lot of nostalgia lately. Maybe it's the dreary bleak and frozen gray February weather, but I'm feeling old, like my best days are behind me and all along I thought I was just getting ready for something better. Well, I've got nothing to complain about, my life is full of joy and has had its share of small excitements. But it's a little alarming to see so much of it as past tense.

So finding a set of the music I loved back when I was still in my twenties has some cheap appeal. Moreover, it's a good collection of songs that ought to create a pretty nice melancholy mood for your day. (Included: Kinks, Big Star, Ash Ra Tempel, Flying Saucer Attack, Brian Eno, more).

Hope you enjoy this as much as I did/do/will.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great...yet another musical lesson about late 20th century music taught by the master E!

Who is ASh-RA Temple and how come I have never heard of them beofre?!!! I've been asleep until now.
Digging it!
-K

erroneous said...

Oooh. The best answer I could possibly give is at Julian Cope's website:
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/feature/ash_ra_tempel/

I should add that the CD I have is a combo of Schwingungen and 7-up, and large parts of the latter are kind of disappointing. Especially the soggy fake-blues song sung by Timothy Leary, which is almost enough to totally kill the high from the first few songs. (Leary may have been many things but 'blues singer' was not one of them.)

Still, the Flowers Must Die song is pretty insanely massive.