Saturday, October 17, 2009

Let's Be Forever and Forever Be Free


Plausibly positable as the best possible combination of smarm and songcraft. Not the helium-freakout Ween, nor the classic-rock extendo-jam Ween, nor yet the 'make fun of a genre' Ween. Well, maybe this is the 'make fun of many genres' Ween... which means that what you get is delicious songwriting that's only half tongue-in-cheek.

You get lyrics like "mutilated lips give a kiss on the lips to wormlike tips extending tentacles expanding in my mind I'm fine accepting only fresh brine you can get another drop of this yeah you wish" matched to catchy melodies, with bits of prog-rock pomposity, dreamy guitar lines and pastoral clouds of sweetitude.

Importantly, you can more or less take a lot of the songs seriously, if that's how you prefer to roll.

Basically, yum.

4 comments:

erroneous said...

"Plausibly positable as the best possible combination of smarm and songcraft" is a terrible sentence. Obviously I read too many crappy record reviews.

But, it's still a good album.

meltmaster said...

you are too too. i was afraid to approach ween until this. god bless you, sir.

meltmaster said...

oui, monsieur. oh why oh why is this bog still private?????

erroneous said...

Excellent question. I guess I'm afraid that if I make it public all the links will get removed 24 hours later. But maybe it's worth a try.