Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Everything Must Change


Everything Must Change- Ero's Spring Mix 4-12-2011
by erogray

A springtime mix.
I've been thinking lately about how there's a moment in despair when you're not really sure that things can ever be good again. And during this time the seeds of new life are germinating but you don't even know it.

I've been thinking about how all the great struggles for change- civil rights, human rights, etc.- are permanent struggles. You never get to a point where they're accomplished, because in our lives despair is nearly as powerful as love, and no matter how strong your love is, despair makes its resurgences and must be fought back. Every generation does this, and every individual, in every season. Furthermore, death and the fear it generates in our lives is a constant force, whereas love- the creative force in the universe- must create itself again and again within us. So dictators stay with us. Terrorists and crooked cops stay with us. The pettiness and cruelty in our own behavior always reappears, no matter what our intentions. But the love, and the hope love brings, that can defeat all these things, has to be reborn within us through painful struggle. It is always stronger, but it is not a constant. It must be born.

But mostly I've been thinking about what an endless and dreary winter this has been, and how eager I am for spring to come.

Anyway, this is a mixtape for you. Folks who've been listening to mixtapes (or to this blog) for years will recognize a lot of the songs, but whatever. It seems right for the moment.

I hope you like it.

Tracklist:

Al Green- I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
Lhasa De Sela- Is Anything Wrong?
Joni Mitchell- Blue
Yo La Tengo- Tears Are In Your Eyes
Loren Mazzacane Connors- Brigid's Song
Dusty Springfield- No Easy Way Down
Jose Delhart- Cien Pajaritos
Bill Monroe- Gloryland
Echo & the Bunnymen- Over the Wall
Tom Waits- Somewhere
Sandy Denny- It'll Take A Long Time
Nina Simone- Everything Must Change
David Bowie- Fantastic Voyage
Anouar Brahem- Iram Retrouvee
Gene Clark- I Think I'm Gonna Feel Better
Bareh Droma- Sosnitsa (The Little Pine Tree)
Lonnie Johnson- Swing Out Rhythm
Magical Power Mako- Open the Morning Window
East River Pipe- Life Is Born Today
Nick Drake- Hazey Jane
Van Morrison- Starting A New Life
Sly & the Family Stone- You Caught Me Smilin'
Ike & Tina Turner- Feel Good
Super Eagles- Love's A Real Thing
The Beatles- Fixing a Hole

2 comments:

Christine said...

Lovely- thanks for brightening up my arduous workday!

erroneous said...

Glad I could help!
Hey, I found your secret blog. Awesome. :)