Muses come in great forms and sizes. This music I first heard (for the first time ever) about three months ago and believed upon the first listen that I have had stumbled across a missing chapter of something akin to a dug up chapter of the Dead Sea Scrolls. My world of funk, disco, jazz and pop music was smashed to pieces. Move over Sly, I thought, this woman was coming in for the kill while recording; she had something to say and she was to making sure everyone heard her.Then, magically, coincidental, oddly, disturbingly, lustfully, whimsically, I was browsing a book store and came across a bio by Miles Davis' son - Gregory. I flip it open and the first words I see is this singer/song writer, genius, enchantress' name - oh did I forget musician. She was what? - married to him, on the cover of File de Kilimanjaro, too - who is she? WOW! Did he really leave her because she was having an affair with Jimi..or did she leave him? Double Wow. So there are there stories behind the stories? This is not Inception everything is out for you to hear. The growl behind the voice, the shuffle of her vibrato. I never looked her up on the Internet when I first listened to her during the late months of Spring. I knew, eventually, fate would guide me to her -
I use to think Mia Farrow -, Puma- from Black Uhuru - and the woman who introduced Fela to American Political Soul music were the greatest of goddesses of the 20th century music (Mia may still win after all who else married Sinatra went to India with the Beatles and married Andre Previn, Woody who?)..who was with Stravinski?
But then I heard Betty.......and nothing was as it was before.....Betty Davis.......sit back and growl....enjoy your ice tea...your beer and chill....
It's been a quiet summer here so I thought I could bring some life back to this wonderful site....
2 comments:
Pst script:
I found this from another site in agalaxy far far away. I don't remember where because it was a long time ago. Please forgive me if you were the orignal blogger - and let me thank you for opening my eyes and world!
This is sheer awesomeness no matter what the provenance.
Always wondered whether the song "He was a biiiiiiiig freak!" was about Jimi, Miles, or someone else entirely.
What a growl.
Post a Comment