Saturday, March 27, 2010

When Jaco met Rashied


I first saw this bootleg six years ago on Ebay. The Japanese bootleg CD on the net went for a final price of $79.00. After my twenty dollar bid was out matched I was inspired to track down the disc. I wasn't going to let some stranger with more money than myself beat me down. I decided to go on a musical quest the very day I discovered I had lost the bid; a quest that took over three years to accomplish. This was back before file sharing was so common. Or at least people like me didn't know how to share or download. If you wanted to hear something you had search high and dry to find it. A quest back then meant that even if you couldn't get what you sought you were at least guaranteed to come out with something.
For two years (in Japan) I searched for this disc. Every music store I went to on every island and in every city I made sure to ask the clerks if they could find it for me. No one knew about this disc. It was a ghost. In the land of Jazz discs galore this was just one of a million. A few clerks were just as intrigued about it as I was and I met some great people while on my quest for the elusive Jaco CD. Musicians, Bar Tenders, Sales Clerks, Teachers, Ghosts, yuki sadus, Shamans, Phil Woods fans - everyone knew what I was after and offered me alternate recordings of other Jazz icons.
But then on my very full last day in Japan I went to a little CD store right next to my hotel in Osaka. And ten minutes before the music store closed - with Leroy Hutson playing in back ground - I found it. (I ended up buying the Hutson disc, too and should share it.)
I remember going back to my hotel room and playing it in my little CD walkman thingy; Jaco and Rashied -together -live. This was Japan's gift to me. I had done well and taught her children and she was rewarding me!
The sound quality is not perfect. But the bass playing and drumming is inspiring. Perhaps this is just for Jaco fans and collectors. But virtuosity can be appreciated by everyone.
If you love Jaco check out this concert - the recording with Pat Metheny is amazing- the quality is better. B. Moses is one hell of a drummer, too.
But every now and then I have to listen to this disc. If not to remind me of Japan then to remind me about the possibilities of jazz.

(Rashied passed away last August. His quartets were in the same vain as the Jazz Messengers; a training ground for younger players. The years before his death he put out some amazing live recordings.)

Enough of the cliches:

Jacos Night out
("Live Recorded at French Radio on the 19th of December, 1984")
Broadway Blues (Ornette Coleman)
Slang (Jaco P.)
Purple Haze (Jimi)
Fannie Mae (B. Brown)
Black Bird (Sir Paul McCartney)
Donna Lee (Charlie Parker)
Continuum (Jaco P.) - (I love this piece)
Naima (John Coltrane)

I've never seen this CD for sale anywhere else. Not even on a web site. Maybe you've been looking for this, too. But never knew enough to ask...Enjoy.

4 comments:

meltmaster said...

K-man! my computer won't play WMA files!

erroneous said...

Awesome post. (Even if Mr. Melt can't listen, the writing is great).

meltmaster said...

That's Mr. Mr. Melt to you.

I agree, it is a great post. It's a great story. We should make a movie called Jaco Japan.

Unknown said...

I download a "VLC" player to play FLAC recordings and it changed all my non FLAC and FLACs to WMA.....it's very strange.....
A mystery beyond me.
(I just got back from LA so I have to catch up with the post!)

JACO lives!!