Sunday, January 24, 2010

Six Feet Under the Clay

Unstoppably lovely free pre-copyright music:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator:%22Mississippi%20John%20Hurt%22

I've been listening to a lot of Mississippi John Hurt lately, learning to play several songs on guitar (I've been approximating them for a decade or so, but actually forcing myself to do it right, with the odd syncopations and perfectly steady alternating bass, is a whole nother deal). Really reminds me how lovely and vital the music is. I'm more appreciative than ever of his singing, as well-- such a casually gentle voice, but with very good phrasing and melodic quirks.

A particularly lovely example, Louis Collins Blues:




If that's not enough awesomeness for you, here's what I watched on youtube this morning.


which led me to this:


which led me to this:



The crazy/beautiful flatpicking and abusive moustache led me to this little flash of brilliance:


Then, I thought, let's hear some more deep blues:


finishing off with one of my favorite blues songs ever, by one of my favorite singers ever, the great Son House:


Hope your weekend's as good as mine. Peace out.

P.S. for more Mississippi John Hurt, see the earlier post here:


3 comments:

Carla Chameleon said...

Awesome!!

Unknown said...

WOW.Oh yeah,. the Luis Collins blues is from the 1928 session I think (on CD from Yazoo records)..It's just the greatest collection of him playing....

Unknown said...

MY GOODNESS>...that Sun House video is too much.....WHOAH.....thank you!