I've been working on a solo acoustic guitar album. This isn't it: this is just the demo I recorded yesterday so that I can hear what the songs I've been working on sound like. So, there are lots of errors, some squonky notes, some hesitations and stumbles, and a couple distorted moments from being overly casual with the microphone levels. Also, most the songs run a little longer than is reasonable, due to the fact that I'm wandering around improvising a bit too much and trying to find my way back to the main motifs.But, all in all I'm pretty happy with how this is sounding, and I feel like sharing it with my friends, and asking for feedback. Let me know what you think: too droney? Not droney enough? Too new age? Too melancholy? Overly pretty? Not pretty at all? Lack of catchy melodies? Not enough rhythm? Etc, etc, etc. I'll probably disregard your suggestions, but that doesn't mean I don't want to hear them. Because I very much do.
4 comments:
Ero, this is very good. The production is beautiful, and the playing is very nice. Each of the songs are distinctly evocative. What I mean by that is that each one evokes different moods, like Indian ragas. Very well done, my friend. I'm excited about this project.
Thanks-- that's very encouraging. I've been pretty nervous about what it'd sound like to others!
Very very nice. This is what I respect: playing just to play when there is nothing else in the world that you would want to do at that moment but play.
...and you were fortunate to capture it wonderfully in the recordings.
Really is nice music. A Very free style. Great work. I'd love to hear the finished version.
-K
Thank you sir. I've never really composed this sort of thing, though I've been playing droney guitar around the house for decades. But this time I wrote up motifs for each part of each song, then ran through them loosely until it started to sound decent. So it's loose & free but also composed. It seems like this will be something I'll continue with.
I think the finished version will probably come in January, I'm planning to buy a new guitar first...
Post a Comment